Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Keeping The Doors Open: Is It of God, is it of Man or is it the workings of both?



What I type now (being October 23, 2018), comes from the same heart that I had when I wrote the below [following the words Into My HEART in 12/18/15]. I am confident that prayer is a most excellent gift that God has given to the world. I also believe and have come to know personally that prayer is a most intimate expression of communication between God and Man. That being said, I have seen what prayer and willingness to do what can be done with what we have and what has been given accomplish amazing things. I have wondered, if God is all-powerful and all-knowing, why does He call on people to pray, to sacrifice, to give and to do? It seems most reasonable to me that God does this, because He desires that the human race He has made would know intimacy with Him and as a result intimacy with each other. There is something quite special that takes place in the heart and soul of mankind when a people come together for the common good of each other as opposed to merely seeking the best for self. Whenever it is reported, it is read, it is witnessed, that people came together having differing backgrounds, beliefs and ethnicity, for the common good, a nation; even a world is captivated by it. It becomes all that we can talk about.

There is a joy in giving. Sadly, there is also a great struggle in giving. However, even with the struggle, if giving is accomplished, it breathes new life into us, that struggle turns into triumph. I cannot honestly say I have given at every opportunity [although I wanted to]. And I speak about money. The hardest thing to give. We will sacrifice time and talents in great measure, but there is something about money that we can view it as a line to not be crossed or a subject to not be broached.

I have personally experienced multiple times God calling me to give all that was in my pocket; all the money I had to my name! Although I obeyed Him, I gave but with great struggle even reluctance. Literally my hands were shacking and my body was trembling as my arm moved and the action of going into my pocket to grab the money [I finally acquired after much time], began to extend itself to give the money that was firmly gripped in my hand to be released to no longer be with me.

When I think on such things, I do not have that hurt that I experienced like a blow, in giving that money. All I have is thanksgiving. I give thanks to God. I have gratitude. I am grateful to God. I am in awe of what He called me to do, of the sacrifice He called me to give. It all ended up being for my good. Why? Our intimacy together grew exponentially.

Ultimately, that is what God desires most. To reconcile all things in heaven and on earth to Himself. This is the ultimate definition of intimacy with God. So whether we struggle with giving money, I believe through that struggle if we obey God and also trust God, He will replace our struggle with His intimacy. That is to know God and to know Him well. With that said, I now invite you Into My HEART.



Beloved ones, I read this today (being December 18, 2015). ‘Those that stay don’t keep the doors opened. Those that pray do.’ Indeed the prayer part is an accurate statement but mere prayer although greatly needed does not fulfill the desired outcome—keeping the doors opened.

This applies for all things, but let us say, these ‘doors opened’ pertains to a church. Now many factors go into a building being operational. But what goes on or should go on in a church building?
You have a place of peace, joy and love. A place were people gather together with a common belief, purpose and calling. For there is but one calling yet they are differing gifts. You have prayer offered up to the Lord God of heaven and earth. You have praise and worship that is also directed up to the Lord God accompanied by musical instruments and melody, prayer and fasting, reading and studying and being together in unity. You have things being said that ought to originate from God’s glorious and holy Word, by inspiration of the Holy Spirit. All of these things are paramount but if I were to include one other thing and to seek to not leave out, that one more thing, it would be the ever necessary and critical giving.

Yes, all the above should be witnessed and experienced at a church, but if generosity has not found its place there, all else could be seen as done in vain. For all the rest comes by faith and is done by faith, yet giving, this is the visible work culminating as a result of that faith.

Now, we can view it like this. Water and electricity keep a building open and ready for business. Rent is to be paid if the building isn’t already owned and if owned, property tax is to be paid. Many things require money to function and this is universally known.

Therefore, let us further see this in light of the church building. You have your utilities, rent, taxes and the such where it may apply that must be paid. However, a people exercise great faith in that they pray continuously without ceasing as if many voices heard collectively were in accord as one. They pray with great fervor. Believing the Lord God hears them and will keep the church doors open so they can continue meeting together, praying, singing, worshiping, sharing the Word of God with others who do not know Jesus. Yet, this faith as much as it is, cannot produce financial wealth. This is where the truth of ‘faith without works is dead.’

Faith is important, but equally if not more so, works in unison with that faith, is more vital. For either one apart from the other can never remain standing strong.

Therefore, let us conclude the matter here with practical ways to reveal faith by works and the proper examples of this faith at work. We as a people and I would remain speaking about Western society or Northern America, as being a people who love our comforts, routines, social gatherings and holiday celebrations. All these things generate the expenditure of money. Often times in vast amounts. If we were to become a people more concern with these “doors” remaining open, we would become a people who sacrifice or even forsake all these things, all for the sake of the church doors and all its activities and influences remaining open and in practice. Yet, these comforts get the better of us for we fall into that ever popular, “‘I give my tithe’ so I can spend this money however I see fit.” This may seem like the case but we would all be wrong.


King David knew that all financial wealth and the positioning to produce it, came from God: ‘But who am I, and who are my people, that we could give anything to you? Everything we have has come from you, and we give you only what you first gave us!’ (1 Chronicles 29:14) and again, “Yours, O Lord, is the greatness, the power, the glory, the victory, and the majesty. Everything in the heavens and on earth is yours, O Lord, and this is your kingdom. We adore you as the one who is over all things. Wealth and honor come from you alone, for you rule over everything. Power and might are in your hand, and at your discretion people are made great and given strength. “O our God, we thank you and praise your glorious name!”” (1 Chronicles 29:11-13 NLT)


Now if all things come from God and all that we have He has graciously and [generously] given us, why are we thinking, saying and doing, ‘I can spend this money as I see fit?’ There is a break down occurring within the hearts of men and it has corrupted us to think faith without the visible evidence of works is enough. Yet let this be the frame of our hearts: “Moses gave them the materials donated by the people of Israel as sacred offerings for the completion of the sanctuary. But the people continued to bring additional gifts each morning. Finally the craftsmen who were working on the sanctuary left their work. They went to Moses and reported, “The people have given more than enough materials to complete the job the Lord has commanded us to do!” So Moses gave the command, and this message was sent throughout the camp: “Men and women, don’t prepare any more gifts for the sanctuary. We have enough!” So the people stopped bringing their sacred offerings. Their contributions were more than enough to complete the whole project. (Exodus 36:3-7)


Now if our hearts are framed as such, then that means God has the preeminence over us, our financial dealings and how we go about ‘spending it.’ And if He does have the say and if He does guide and direct us in such manners and we acknowledge Him and faithfully adhere to these commands of His, then we know this is true and we follow it cheerfully: Then Moses said to the whole community of Israel, “This is what the Lord has commanded: Take a sacred offering for the Lord. Let those with generous hearts present the following gifts to the Lord: gold, silver, and bronze; blue, purple, and scarlet thread; fine linen and goat hair for cloth; tanned ram skins and fine goatskin leather; acacia wood; olive oil for the lamps; spices for the anointing oil and the fragrant incense; onyx stones, and other gemstones to be set in the ephod and the priest’s chestpiece. (Exodus 35:4-9)


What shall we say then? What is it that captivates God? What causes this building called church to triumph, remain open, available and active? Is it mere attendance? No. Is it prayer? No. What is it then? Let us see the full picture now. As it is written: “Faith without works is dead.” Some have faith. Good. Some have works. Good. And if prayer is faith yet it cannot keep ‘doors opened’ and faith without works is dead, what is it then? Here it is the whole picture: While we are certainly called to pray continuously in all things (1 Thessalonians 5:17, Philippians 4:6), we are also called to be a generous people, in that, ‘while we have opportunity let us do good to all, especially the household of faith,’ (Galatians 6:10) and such generosity, can be captured in this: “Then King David turned to the entire assembly and said, “My son Solomon, whom God has clearly chosen as the next king of Israel, is still young and inexperienced. The work ahead of him is enormous, for the Temple he will build is not for mere mortals—it is for the Lord God himself! Using every resource at my command, I have gathered as much as I could for building the Temple of my God. Now there is enough gold, silver, bronze, iron, and wood, as well as great quantities of onyx, other precious stones, costly jewels, and all kinds of fine stone and marble. “And now, because of my devotion to the Temple of my God, I am giving all of my own private treasures of gold and silver to help in the construction. This is in addition to the building materials I have already collected for his holy Temple. I am donating more than 112 tons of gold from Ophir and 262 tons of refined silver to be used for overlaying the walls of the buildings and for the other gold and silver work to be done by the craftsmen. Now then, who will follow my example and give offerings to the Lord today?” But who am I, and who are my people, that we could give anything to you? Everything we have has come from you, and we give you only what you first gave us! (1 Chronicles 29:1-5, 14). 

In such giving, and in such prayer, we have that true and lasting formula as it were that works! Faith and works are alive when they are seen, known and experienced together. What is the end result of such a marvelous thing?: “Moses gave them the materials donated by the people of Israel as sacred offerings for the completion of the sanctuary. But the people continued to bring additional gifts each morning. Finally the craftsmen who were working on the sanctuary left their work. They went to Moses and reported, “The people have given more than enough materials to complete the job the Lord has commanded us to do!” So Moses gave the command, and this message was sent throughout the camp: “Men and women, don’t prepare any more gifts for the sanctuary. We have enough!” So the people stopped bringing their sacred offerings. Their contributions were more than enough to complete the whole project. (Exodus 36:3-7)

Beloved, I pray we will not be a people that are conducting ourselves in any less capacity then those who are truly thankful to God with all sincerity of heart. For if we are sincere and if we are thankful then just like those who came before us and their faith and works were very much alive! We too, must continue on keeping the rich inheritance from which we came—a generous people who worship the Lord God of heaven and earth for all He is, has done and continues to do. Let it be so. Amen.


As always…YOU ARE LOVED.


—F.A. Lugo
Originally written on: 12/18/15
Added onto and edited on: 10/23/18
Posted on: 10/24/18

No comments:

Post a Comment