Sunday, December 8, 2013

Walking by faith and not by sight: The Big Misconception

 
 
 


“Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.”
(Hebrews 11:1 NKJV)

“For we walk by faith, not by sight.”
(2 Corinthians 5:7 NKJV)

“Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.”
(John 8:31-32, 36 NKJV)



Beloved, I wrote the below words a few days ago and today, being (December 8, 2013) I wanted to start by confessing something to you that has been pricking at my side for the past month or so. Actually, this has been a thorn in my side for quite some time now. I have seen my situation and circumstance many times as one who is between a rock and a hard place. However, in reflection of such thoughts I came to this realization, if God were done with me; if God brought me to this place to abandon me now, that would go contrary to who He is—the Author and finisher of my faith! Therefore, it lead me to thank God and to praise God for the many small victories He has given me over the past four years. In light of so many victories, I know, my faith can see past what my eyes may fail to see. Though my surroundings may show me no movement, my faith recalls God’s constant movement in and through my life, and that causes the report of my life not to be dismal but actually uplifting and very optimistic. With that being said, I now invite you into my HEART...


Sing this song of praise along with me: The favor of God keeps my enemies from defeating me!



The difference between walking by sight and walking by faith—is in the knowing.

There is a gross misconception that even I came to know through experience. “Walking by faith and not by sight” isn’t some lofty religious saying. It is a road that only the experienced can confidently declare. 

Now here it is. The difference between walking by sight and walking by faith. By definition and history has proven it. Walking by sight is a dangerous game to play and all of us have played it. By sight we perceive what we see to be reality without investigating it to its conclusion. We believe what others say and not what we have investigated and experienced firsthand. Whether it be an eyewitness account or an intimate encounter, by sight walkers do not embrace either, but go with what others have said in haste, in disbelief and by deception.

On the other hand, walking by faith isn’t some chance in the dark, roll of the dice or plunge off a cliff. There is a thorough investigation to it and it must take place. A desire to see a climatic end to the beginning. There is an absolute investment upon the individual wanting to know what he actually believes in and professes to be the absolute truth! Educating oneself is at the basis of their belief. Without it, they certainly would not follow those crumbs that lead to nowhere. Without knowledge faith is without substance. Knowledge is power and this power is seen in such faith. As such faith causes the man to walk out of darkness and into light where Jesus is calling. 

This isn’t some sort of fairly tale or legend. This is history; the history of God reconciling man to Himself. To walk by faith is to know that you know that you know, that Jesus is indeed the Son of God raised from the dead on the third day by the power and promise of God. He died on the Cross then sinners could be forgiven, redeemed and justified by God’s grace through the redemption of the Cross. 

This knowing isn’t merely attained by entering into a local church or owning a bible. It surely isn’t by saying you are a Christian and your life actually reveals you to be more acquainted as a son of Satan rather than a child of God in Christ. This knowing! Can only come by one who investigates and determines within them self, that they must know that this Jesus is actually God made flesh. This knowing can only come by a personal and intimate relationship with Jesus. 

It doesn’t always start with some great emotional experience of love and euphoric presence of joy that creates laughter. Many times, it has come by months and years of investigating the historicity, the legality and the eye witness accounts recorded in the Gospels. On all accounts, those who have sought the Lord Jesus out have indeed to His promise Word, found Him!

Without the true definition of faith and the true accounts of those who have encountered this Jesus, this world would truly be lost. Heed this last word: Let no one mislead you or cause you to be dismayed. Seek Jesus out yourself and make it both personal and intimate— that is, investigate the claims to Jesus’ deity and as Savior of the world then you can say with all assurance that your choice is based off of knowledge and not hearsay. To reject or accept Jesus is to exercise your God-given right. Make your choice count!

No comments:

Post a Comment