Thursday, May 3, 2012

My Book Report (Chapter 6): Every Day A Friday

Chapter Six
“An Attitude of Gratitude is not a catchy slogan. It's an untapped resource.” – F. Lugo




I am amazed! I repeat I am amazed! How amazing it is to receive such wonderful blessings from words in a book. Words on a screen. Words delivered through a social networking site. Words from someone who cares. When these words are filled with goodness. When these words are uplifting, and never aimed to bring you down, I write to you all, be amazed! And thank God!


Chapter six from those words above you can probably put together in your amazing mind that it's a chapter that will have you thankful and amazed. By the way did you know one of my favorite words in the English dictionary is Awesome! Why do I let you know that? Because the word amazing is AWESOME!


"The Right Perspective" would be an awesome way to describe chapter six. In fact, that's the title of chapter 6: "The Right Perspective." Throughout this chapter there is one underlining truth that is amazingly awesome. We are so blessed, the mere fact that all of us at some point or another think we aren't blessed is staggering. Therefore, let me take the initiative and let you in on a little secret. I have often thought I wasn't as blessed as I should have. Are you in shock? I hope you are, because chances are high, you too, have thought, felt and expressed in your life more than once that you were not blessed. Maybe you didn't use those exact words, but maybe these sound more familiar,"Nothing good ever happens to me," or better yet, "Why me?"


Here's a little snippet of something Joel mentioned, shedding light on The Right Perspective to have in his book Every Day A Friday. "I read recently that more than a million people die every single week. Think about it. You made it another week! You're better off than a million people. You can thank God you're alive."  (Here) is where you can find some sobering statistics.  


Joel goes on to share this as well, "The article also said that if you have a roof over your head, you are better off than 75 percent of the world's population. And if you have fifteen dollars to your name, you are in the top 8 percent of the world's wealthiest people- fifteen dollars!"


How's that for the right perspective? There is so much to be thankful for, and as Joel shared a great exercise to gain the right perspective, I share it all with you. Make a list of everything God has blessed you with, and by the end of it, you'll have gained The Right Perspective.


Here's a bit of direction for you when writing your list. Joel mentions a man who complained he had 'no good shoes,' then he met a man without feet. In that very moment and from then on, that man had The Right Perspective.



My Takeaway:

The Right Perspective comes from the heart that praises and thanks God. The more I praise God the less I see room to complain. If I develop a spirit of continual thanks and praise to God while meditating on His goodness, I wont have time to focus on what's wrong or to complain about what I don't have or what I can't do, because I'll be to grateful to God for what I DO have and what I CAN do. Just as King David wrote, and knew the secret to The Right Perspective, I share this secret with you. "I WILL bless the Lord at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth." (Psalm 34:1 AMP) and apparently the apostle Paul knew this secret as well, as he wrote, 'give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.' (1 Thessalonians 5:18 NIV)




Beloved, I leave you with these words. They are my words to God as soon as I finished reading chapter six and reflecting on His goodness in my life.

Father, I want to apologize for not appreciating everything I have been blessed with as if it were the first time I received it. Thank you for your friendly reminders. Thank you for personalities like Joel Osteen. Thank you that the smiling saints belonging to your kingdom have been here on earth gracing us with their demeanor and amazing perspective. Help me to always have The Right Perspective. Amazed by You, my God!


















No comments:

Post a Comment