Wednesday, April 25, 2012

My Book Report (Chapter 4): Every Day A Friday

Chapter Four


"Bloom Where You Are Planted." These words certainly spark curiosity. I always find it absolutely amazing where God will lead an individual who is looking to be lead. Therefore, allow me to lead you to the meaning of the word bloom.

Bloom: to flourish; to glow; to produce; to thrive; to prosper; to achieve- To invest oneself. 


As I read through chapter four of Joel Osteen's "Every Day A Friday" I was challenged tremendously. Joel goes on to write in this chapter about being the best you can be where you are at in life despite situations, circumstances, peoples attitudes or even our ability to not see the best in ourselves or others for that matter.

You may be thinking, why the metaphor of plant growth? Joel starts this chapter with a personal experience of his own. He was walking through a forest and came to a large opening that was full of  'dead, dried-up, brown, ugly weeds.' As he continued walking about a hundred yards in he saw a beautiful flower. Joel goes on to describe, "It was so bright, so colorful, so refreshing. It had bloomed right there in the middle of the acres and acres of old, ugly, dried-up weeds. And I thought. Really, that's what God wants us to do. Just bloom where we're planted."


If you are anything like me, you may tend to beat yourself up when you can't do better than you are doing. You want to be more. You want to know more. In essence you want to be someone you aren't at the current moment. But that is the good news. Just as I may not be certain things yet! Doesn't mean I wont be these things in the future. That goes for you too! Therefore, as I am comforted yet inspired to do better, I will use these blessings that God places in my life, in my path, such as this book by Joel Osteen that I am reading, to do my best where I am at, and constantly look to God to strengthen me to reach and achieve better and never settle for where I am at.

As I have mentioned to many people, I certainly look to challenge myself to reach higher than my present lot in life, as my lot is what God has made for me and that is Victory. Amen.


My Takeaway:

It's always a tough thing to break barriers in your life especially when you lacked the upbringing of victory. But as my pastor, Pastor Troy Gramling has shared and is successfully modeling, 'Although it wasn't modeled for you doesn't mean YOU can't model it' I am encouraged to lead out by example despite the model not being there for me.

I'm looking to God to do just that. The strength to break barriers; to be the best I can be where I am at yet never settling to stay where I am at, and to bloom even when I'm surrounded by weeds. Amen.

Beloved, I leave you with these words of encouragement and truth, Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” (Matthew 19:26 NIV)


As Always...YOU ARE LOVED





No comments:

Post a Comment