Saturday, July 14, 2012

A Humble Post: No Gimmicks... Just Me



Beloved, today's Saturday July 13 and it's 1:10am as I start to write this. I can't remember what made me think of the word gimmick. But let me start by including its definition now:


Gimmick (noun): an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, especially one designed to attract attention or increase appeal.




Don't know about you, but I have looked into the bathroom mirror at times at my reflection and think, 'This is the best I can do.'

Here's something I have shared with very few people... I like to make silly faces periodically in the bathroom mirror, at people I know, on that visor thingy (yup! I said thingy...LOL) in the car... oh yeah, it's called a visor, and even in pictures I've taken with phone just to make myself laugh. That's not a glamorous thing and it probably doesn't have a great appeal to it, but it's me.



I don't come with shiny jewelry (when I was in my early twenties I actually considered getting those "grillz" the rappers used to wear as a piece of mouth jewelry). I know... Shocking. Thank God that was a phase. 


I don't wear expensive; flashy clothing, and I don't drive some exotic fast overly priced car with a name you can't pronounce. I own a 1992 Buick Century, and I think it's a nice car. It might not take anyone's breath away other than to say 'That's an old car,' but it's fine with me. 


I don't speak in fancy words, but I try my best to speak plainly in a manner everyone can understand. I enjoy the way I speak. Simple, easy to understand (although I have been told I tend to talk low at times.) Nobody's perfect, right?!


I'm not someone who would be described as debonair, gallant, or the picture of a night in shiny armor. I'm simple, humble, some may say plain as can be, but I have a heart that is filled with love, and desires to encourage as many people as I possibly can with what I have, and what I know with the time I have on God's green earth. 



I don't think like you do. I don't act like you do. I don't speak like you do. I don't come from the same place you do. I don't laugh at the same things you do. But that's the cool part (although I say to myself at times, why didn't they find that funny). Although we may think we are very plain, we're actually unique and quite marvelous. for anyone who is familiar with the Bible, there's a verse in the book of Psalm that sheds light on how God looks at us "I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well." and again, "How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How great is the sum of  them! If I should count them, they would be more in number than the sand" (Psalm 139: 14, 17-18 NKJV).


Knowing God doesn't see me the way I see myself in the mirror at times is so comforting and inviting. Don't you agree? When I decided to write these words to you, I didn't want to preach to you or teach you anything, but I know these words will speak to you and I hope and pray that just as they fill me with the warmth of God's love for me, they will do he same with you.



As I look at my life I don't want to be someone who needs to put on a show, and dazzle the crowd to get attention. I just want to be the best me I can be. No gimmicks, no shiny jewelry, no European car, and certainly no grill in my mouth that looks like a mini chandelier. <-- I hope that last part made you laugh. 


We may not meet many people who think we're great, but I'm glad that the Creator of the Universe and all that's in it, thinks you and I are quite AMAZING. And that certainly makes me happy being me, and that goes for you too!

Sincerely,
Me




No comments:

Post a Comment