Monday, August 1, 2011

Equal Balance



Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us. (Romans 5:5 NKJV)


I can remember saying and desiring constantly "I need equal balance in my life," and for myself as it is for many, we struggle with the ability to have an equal balanced life. 

Is it lack of rest? Is it a poor diet? Is it attention to details that don't matter, and a lack of attention to details that do matter? Is it our surroundings; the people we have in our circle of influence? Is it our families; our jobs? It's probably all of the above, but one thing that is for certain, all these things can be balanced and yet we still feel unbalanced. What is missing...or rather Who is missing in our lives? 


Today I read in my daily devotional written by Billy Graham, that like a ship, we too, have a gyroscope that keeps us on an even keel. You may be asking yourself: Just what is a gyroscope? I included a picture of what a gyroscope looks like above, and it's purpose I will burrow the quote from a ships captain who showed and spoke with Mr. Graham what a gyroscope does; it's function - He said, "When the sea is rough, the gyroscope helps to keep the ship on an even keel. Though the waves may reach tremendous proportions, the gyroscope helps to stabilize the [vessel] and maintain a high degree of equilibrium."


As Billy Graham listened to the captains description of the gyroscope he thought of how like the gyroscope is the Holy Spirit. Mr. Graham said, "Let the storms of life break over our heads. Let the enemy Satan come in like a flood. Let the waves of sorrow, suffering, temptation, and testing be unleashed upon us. Our souls will be kept on an even keel and in perfect peace when the Holy Spirit rules in our hearts."


Many of us are bombarded from this world's quick fix potions, pills, and gimmicks to give us equal balance, but true balance comes from living a Spirit-filled life, and the secret to that, is not a mystery but an open invitation and challenge, and the words by the late evangelist D.L. Moody describes this way of living; the secret as it were. He said, "I believe firmly that the moment our hearts are emptied of pride and selfishness and [ambition] and everything that is contrary to God's law; the Holy Spirit will fill every corner of our hearts. But if we are full of pride and conceit and [ambition] and the world, there is no room for the Spirit of God." 


Is your life on course or off? If it is off course, perhaps you need the equilibrium of God's gyroscope - His Holy Spirit. Seek Him and His will for you today. 


A prayer for today: 

Our Father and Our God, please help me to empty myself of pride, selfishness, [ambition], and conceit. Fill me with Your Spirit, every corner of my heart and mind. Give me the spiritual equilibrium I need every day. And help me to depend on Jesus for my balance. In His name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment