Saturday, August 10, 2013

My Ellis Island Moment








Beloved, today I was given the honor and privilege to write my thoughts on when I saw the Statue of Liberty for the first time. My friend Jeff Zelaya, messaged me saying “Flavio, maybe you can relate to this story? If you do, would you mind sharing it on Twitter or Facebook to help inspire others?” To such an invitation to be a part of something bigger than myself, I immediately jumped at the opportunity. You can read what Jeff wrote by clicking (here). With that said, I now invite you into my HEART...



My response to Jeff’s post. Here it is my friend. Upon reading this insight into your heart, I reflected on my moment when I came on a ferry to see the statue of liberty. I didn’t have a profound moment of introspection or reflection of those who came before me as you did. My thoughts and actions were dismal at best and were in line with most superficial thoughts, such as, “Wow! This is a cool looking statue.” You know, such things of that nature. I include this not to my shame or even for others to scoff at me, as we all are spoken into, at various times in our lives and not every moment speaks to us in the same manner. However, for anyone who thinks of the Statue of Liberty, New York City and seeing such sights, Ellis Island will surely come to mind and be on the list of things to go see on a ferry.

After our stop at the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island was next. The great emotion and hairs standing up affect you shared, overcame me when I was walking up towards the United states once busiest immigration station. As you spoke of immigrants that migrated to the U.S. to seek a better life and seek freedom, no thought from the tyranny of their homelands, I too, was overcome by the past intersecting with present. As I looked around at the large crowd that was walking with me, I
realized we too, are these immigrants. People of many different tongues and from many different nations, all collectively walking towards a beacon of hope. I was overcome with emotion, like a rushing tidal wave sweeping me off! I wonder how many people experienced such a thing.

Upon reading what you experienced, I also reflected on how I would’ve reacted to Ellis Island now, going on 7 years from the time I initially experienced it. Today, I would see such a passage from old into new, as a great and vast amount of people of every tribe, nation and tongue making their way from hardships, tyranny, oppression, trials, tribulations, afflictions, persecution even death all for the sake of freedom; for the sake of salvation in Christ. Everyone would be coming into the “Celestial kingdom” glancing at one another, and realizing we were all a small piece of a grand puzzle; that puzzle being Christ the Lord! We played our part. Being that of faithful witnesses and giving a strong testimony of Jesus Christ the Lord. We fought the good fight, we ran our race, we kept our faith and now as those immigrants rejoiced in a land of freedom, we too, will rejoice in receiving the crown of righteousness (2 Timothy 4:7-8). We walked with excellence, integrity, discipline and self-control and in all humility before our Lord, our God and King... The Beloved Jesus. Amen.

Yup! Ellis Island is my “Lady Liberty.” This immigration station that was once the busiest in all the United States of America, as you stated so eloquently, too me, speaks “Land of the Free. The land of opportunity and possibility. The place where we all have the opportunity to start with nothing and turn it into something. A place to call home for all of our brothers and sisters from all over the world.” Yes, Ellis island says freedom to me, and not only freedom, but she is a type of entrance; a type of CELESTIAL CITY that shall echo with a beating heart:


Blessed are the poor in spirit, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, For they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, For they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, For they shall be filled.
Blessed are the merciful, For they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart, For they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, For they shall be called sons of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven. 
(Matthew 5:3-12)




Yes, it shall echo, “Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.”

No comments:

Post a Comment