Saturday, October 6, 2012

My Book Report (Chapter 21): Every Day A Friday




Smile, and the World Smiles with You




I want to laugh more and stress less. Here’s a joke. Two monkeys were playing but one fell into the water below. The one still dry laughed and laughed, but the wet one, was laughing even harder. The dry one says “what’s so funny, you’re the one that’s wet!” The wet one said, “yeah that’s true, but there’s a cougar behind you... Bon appétit”


Beloved, I have to confess this to you now and ask for your continued prayers in it. Lately I have been so burdened with the stresses of this world, that I haven’t laughed nearly as much as I have in the past. In turn, someone who is absolutely dear to me, I have caused our relationship to become strained. I believe God has placed us in each other’s lives to bless one another with many moments of laughter and to show this world how two people in the Lord, can create a love revolution! I refuse to back down without a fight, and I want to make sure I have done everything to make it work.

I believe what the scripture says in James 5:16 (Amplified), “Confess to one another therefore your faults (your slips, your false steps, your offenses, your sins) and pray [also] for one another, that you may be healed and restored [to a spiritual tone of mind and heart]. The earnest (heartfelt, continued) prayer of a righteous man makes tremendous power available [dynamic in its working].” Amen!


Chapter twenty-one of Joel Osteen’s Every Day A Friday was one that spoke so much to me in my current situation that has grieved me so much– Lack of laughter and humor in my life.

Joel starts this new chapter out with sharing the claims of an old saying, “you attract more flies with honey than vinegar.” I must admit I have heard this saying before and always thought it was quite dumb. But Joel sheds light on its overall point: “Being nice will take you further than being a grouch.”


Beloved, I have been very grouchy lately. I have not laughed at life’s troubles. I have personally drank vinegar and it is absolutely disgusting. Matter of fact! It distorted two of my senses: Taste and Smell.

Everything I smelled, smelled like vinegar and everything I tasted... well, you already know, tasted like vinegar.

You know what?! I have become that intoxicating aroma of vinegar to someone that is very dear to me. Whether being around me or hearing me, I am distorting their senses. When they want to laugh at life’s troubles they can’t. When they want to laugh at their mistakes they can’t and certain things out of their mouth comes out leaving a bad taste because of the way I take it.


Beloved, do you know what’s the very best thing about confessing our struggles, mess ups; our sins? We are cleansed and are then able to live life abundantly in the Lord. Amen.

As the scriptures declare to all of us, “But if we confess our sins to God, he will keep his promise and do what is right: he will forgive us our sins and purify us from all our wrongdoing.” (1 John 1:9 GNT) and again, “if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” (2 Chronicles 7:14 NIV)


As I think about it now. Laughter in and of itself is a transparent confession of the joy residing within us. In such a case, I desire to confess joy all the days of my life!

Joel shares this advice for life, “The more pressure and the more isolated you become, the more you should look for opportunities to smile and share a laugh to draw people to you.”

Did you know my voice is in my writing. I share my confessions, deep thoughts, joys, struggles and heart with all my audience every time I place fingers to a screen or keyboard, pen to paper, and hit done; submit, upload or post.

Writing what God inspires me to write from His heart, to my heart to deliver to all your precious hearts, is my life’s joy. Writing to me, is an intimate encounter between Creator and creation... To me, until I am with the Lord forever in glory, it gets no better than inviting you “Into my HEART.”


In this chapter Joel takes us on an adventure that includes remarkable stories of those of old age living long through their positive and humorous outlook on life, verses in scripture that show God as a God of humor, the benefits of laughter being evident in our lives, personal and humorous moments in his life, how laughter and humor repairs and rekindles strained relationships, even amazing insight into the intentionality of God using Isaac (meaning ‘he laughs’) to unclog wells and how it relates to God telling us that our laughter aides in unclogging the wells of our hurting hearts, to how God favors and rewards those who reflect His goodness and make this world a more welcoming place.

This chapter is an exciting blessing to receive. It’s “chock full” of blessings, insights, encouragements that lead to inspiration through challenges.

God has certainly blessed this book and this chapter, and anyone who looks to own their very own copy of Every Day A Friday will be blessed by it guaranteed!



My Takeaway:

On a very personal note, unless I am willing to take a stand and make every effort to laugh, I will find myself deteriorating away, but I thank God! That humor and laughter is not only a healing agent of change, but can even bless strained relationships and put those in a romantic relationship from ‘struggling to cuddling.’ God, our God is forever good, faithful, merciful and true to His Word! Amen.


A Jovial Prayer: Let us pray

Amazingly humorous Father, You are the Author of humor. You laugh at the futile schemes of others, and at the difficulties that line the paths of Your children. You show us that humor heals the body, soothes our spirits, attracts admirers and mends relationships. Thank You for all of this humor, the laughter that can fill our homes and unclog our hurting hearts. Thank You for every moment we’re able to laugh and every moment we make others laugh. We want to end our journey in joy. Thank You, that in You this is possible, and as we make the world a more welcoming place, You bless us because of it. Help us to see the humor and brighter side in everything, then those around us can say, ‘The Lord has done great things for them.’ In Jesus name we pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment